Equipment, adaptations and telecare

Equipment and Adaptations

If managing in your home is becoming more difficult, we may be able to assist. You may be experiencing difficulties with:

  • sensory needs
  • getting in and out of your home
  • getting upstairs
  • getting washed or bathed
  • getting to the toilet
  • food preparation etc

We may be able to provide you with help or advice to overcome your difficulties.

To discuss your situation further, please contact Community Health and Social Care Direct.The service is open Monday to Friday 8am until 5pm and can be contacted as follows:

Telephone: 0191 278 8377
Fax: 0191 2788359

Our staff will talk to you about your situation and gather some information. They may give you information or advice about your situation - for example, suggest equipment you can buy yourself.

Alternatively, if you want to purchase equipment yourself without contacting us, you can get advice from Disability North. You can contact them on 0191 284 0480 or email They may also be able to provide useful information on a range of other issues.

If this approach isn't right for you we will need to carry out an assessment which will identify what you might need. This assessment might be carried out in a number of ways including over the telephone, at a clinic or in your own home.

The outcome of the assessment may include recommending special equipment; advising on how to have minor and/ or major alterations to your home; or offering you support to rehouse to a more appropriate property.

If you live in a council house, we will find out what help you need and ask Your Homes Newcastle to make necessary adaptations to your home. There will be no charge for the work. If it is not possible or reasonable to make the necessary alterations then the option of rehousing may be considered. Find out more about Your Homes Newcastle adaptations service.

If you live in your own home or in a privately rented property we can assess what help you may need in the same way. You may be able to get a grant towards the cost of the work. Find out more about the Disabled Facility Grant.

Should you need equipment to help with your mobility, such as walking aids, you should speak to your GP or District Nurse. It may be that you would benefit from physiotherapy input. If you think you might need a wheelchair you should contact your District Nurse who will refer you for an assessment.

Woman  with trolley


The Community Care Alarm Service provides support services which keep people safe. Services enable you to live confidently and independently, and to call for help, when you have fallen, feel unsafe, or unwell at any time of day or night, every day of the year. We also have sensors which can call for help in the case of fire, floods, or extremes of temperature.

Our services can work alongside other care organisations, giving you complete peace of mind so that you can stay in your own home for longer - with our support many people can avoid going into residential care.

Depending on your age and circumstances, you may be able to receive services for free. For a no obligation assessment, please visit the Community Care Alarm Serviceweb page.